A retired couple in Mahopac had a fire in their home. We replaced the damaged framing and structure inside the middle of the house. The State Farm insurance policy paid for a trailer for the couple in their backyard, so they had somewhere nearby to stay during the renovation.
Thanks to our partnership with State Farm as a Premier Service Provider, we were able to immediately start work on the job. First, we brought an engineer in to assess the structure, prepare plans and explain the scope of the project to get the necessary approvals from the building department. We were able to start working on the project as soon as the permit was available. The typical process for dealing with insurance claims involves settling on an estimated cost and scope of work before starting the project. Any additional work or unforeseen conditions necessitate stopping work and opening up the claim process again to ask for more money. We were able to upload photos and descriptions of the needed extra work directly to the adjuster, resulting in minimal delays to the schedule.
The fire affected the center of the home and charred a main beam. We had to remove most of the interior framing in the center of the house, including that in the kitchen and bathroom. After the damaged framing was removed, there was so little left that you could stand on the crawl space floor and look directly up at the roof framing two stories above.
Since the house was over 30 years old and mostly original, the owner wanted to update and upgrade many components. The insurance policy covers “like kind and quality,” but we were able to find trade-offs by using the value of higher-priced original items like the cedar tongue and groove paneling in the laundry and bathrooms. The owner chose to install sheet rock in those rooms, and use the value of the premium finishes he was entitled to for upgrading other areas. In particular he elected for higher-end cabinets, granite counters, replacement bathroom fixtures (they were undamaged, but out of style), upgrading from hollow core luaun to arched-top raised-panel solid doors, and replacing the clamshell casing with premium wide Windsor casing and tall colonial base.
We also upgraded or replaced the roof, most of the insulation, electric, some of the doors, and windows, most of the drywall, and interior finishes of their home including floors, molding, cabinets, counters, and appliances. For most of the house, this was a job that required a full gutting of the interior and replacement. Two rooms were unaffected, and we took pains to keep them undisturbed during construction.