Late spring and early summer in the Hudson Valley can be an idyllic time of year – the warmer weather and more-frequent sunshine can make spending time outside even more appealing than ever. Unfortunately, as residents here know, there’s also an increased risk of thunderstorms. Strong winds, heavy rains, and even the occasional hail can do a number on your home.
When gusts approach 50 mph, falling branches, debris, and even wind alone can cause significant damage. So, after a severe storm hits, what should you do? Peak Construction recommends these steps:
- Keep safe. Wait until the storm has passed, along with any threat of lightning, hail, or wind gusts, before heading outside. In addition, perform your inspections from the ground or your attic – avoid climbing on the roof yourself.
- Check for wind damage from the ground. Obvious signs of exterior damage include missing siding and shingles as well as missing or displaced metal flashings. In addition, the wind can damage the places at which your roof meets your home’s walls as well as protrusions like chimneys, vents, and air ducts.
- Watch for hail damage. Depending on the size of the hail you experienced, hail damage may be readily apparent or difficult to spot. Look for dimples or pebbling on shingles, siding, window frames, and more.
- Mind tree limbs. If a larger tree limb has fallen onto your home, it’s crucial to stay out until an inspector can determine whether it has caused structural damage. In the event of smaller limbs, remove any you can reach without treading on the roof, call a contractor for the others, and assess any shingle damage.
- Contact your insurance agent. Depending on your insurance policy, keep your receipts for any minor repairs you do yourself – they may be covered by your policy. If you need more than minor, DIY repairs, you’ll need to contact your insurance agent to determine whether you should file a claim.
- Find the right contractor. For most storm damage repair, you’ll need a reputable contractor to assess the damage and make quality repairs covered by your insurance. Avoid the traveling or predatory companies that often follow storm damages and may leave you with shoddy or incomplete repairs and a high bill.
If recent storms have caused damage to your home, the experts at Peak Valley Construction can help. Contact us today for more information or to request an inspection and estimate.
Storm Preparation for Hudson Valley
Six Ways to Prepare Your Home for a Storm
Tips to Prepare for Hurricane Season